Today’s gift from the kitchen is cupcakes. Now these Chocolate Peppermint Twist Cupcakes are made to look gourmet – chocolate cupcakes dipped in ganache, topped with peppermint frosting, followed by a drizzle of chocolate ganache! The great thing about them though is they are made with a boxed cake mix and canned frosting!
The frosting also gets it color and flavor from Duncan Hines Frosting Creations. These little packets of flavor mix are easy to use. You just mix one packet into 1 container of frosting. They have a great selection of flavors including cinnamon roll and cotton candy. They also have seasonal flavors – gingerbread, apple pie, pumpkin spice, and peppermint. I love the combination of chocolate and peppermint at this time of year. That is where my inspiration came from for this cupcake.
Now if you want a generous piping of frosting on your cupcakes you have to use 2 cans of frosting. You could get by with one but you won’t get that gourmet look with the generously piped frosting. The other thing I discovered is that once you mix the flavor mix into the frost it tends to be just a bit too runny to pipe. I managed to do it but it would probably help to refrigerate the frosting just for a bit to help it firm up. The other alternative is to make a butter cream frosting from scratch and use the flavoring packets.
This cupcake was a definite hit and I am sure they would be a welcomed gift for any chocolate lover. You can package them up in cupcake boxes that are readily available at stores such as Walmart or Bed Bath and Beyond. They can be found at most craft stores and even on Amazon too.
Duncan Hines and Wilton have provided a gift pack so that one of you can sample the yummy frosting creations! The prize pack includes:
- Wilton Cake decorating set
- 2 Duncan Hines cake mixes
- Wilton 9” angled spatula
- Wilton 15” angled spatula
- “The Pastry Chef’s Companion: A Comprehensive Resource Guide for the Baking and Pastry Professional” by Glenn Rinsky and Laura Halpin Rinsky
- Wilton Turntable
- 2 Duncan Hines® frosting creations™ starters
- 2 Duncan Hines® frosting creations™ flavor mixes in Peppermint Stick and Gingerbread
To enter, leave a comment on this post telling me what mix flavor you want to try!
You have unto Saturday Dec. 8 at midnight (MST) to enter! Winner will be announced at the bottom of this post following the entry deadline. This contest is now closed!Print
- 1 Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 small package chocolate fudge instant pudding mix
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 cans of Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations™ Frosting Starter
- 2 packets of Duncan Hines® Peppermint Stick Frosting Creations™ Flavor Mix
- 1 cup Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with 24 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, add cake mix, sour cream, water, oil, eggs, and pudding mix.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for about two minutes. Use a strong mixer, this batter is thick.
- Pour batter into prepared cupcake liners, dividing batter evenly between the 24 cupcakes. Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes Don’t over bake or the cake will be too dry! The toothpick test works to check to see if they’re done.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- Place chocolate chips and whipping cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 20 seconds and stir. Then microwave for 10 second intervals, stirring after each interval until mixture is smooth.
- Tip top of cupcakes into the chocolate mixture completely coating the tops with a thin layer.
- Add 1 packet of flavor mix to 1 can of frosting starter. Mix to combine. Repeat with remaining frosting and flavor mix. Place frosting in fridge for a few minutes to firm up the frosting.
- Pipe frosting on to cupcakes.
- Drizzle remaining chocolate mixture over frosted cupcakes.
- Sprinkle each cupcake with some of the Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips. Makes 24 cupcakes.
Real Mom Kitchen Original Recipe
Winner of the Giveaway is Jennifer H who said: “I would love to try the Peppermint Stick.” Congrats! Watch for an email on how to claim your prize.