Today’s father’s Day breakfast recipe is inspired by the original biscuits and gravy, mmm, mmm! We are going to take those elements and turn them into a delicious sausage and egg breakfast pizza. This pizza begins with a crescent roll dough crust. I tried biscuits but they didn’t work as well.
Then the crust is topped with country gravy mixed with sausage and onions. Follow that up with some scrambled eggs. Then it wouldn’t be a pizza with out some cheese, mushroom, and green onion. You can always skip the mushrooms and/or green onion if you’d like. However, I love them on there.
My family loved this sausage and egg breakfast pizza. I know Dad will too if you surprise him with this for breakfast on Father’s Day!Print
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 envelope country gravy mix
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 2 green onions, diced
- Separate crescent dough into 16 triangles and place on a 14-in. round pizza pan with points toward the center. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of pan to form a crust; seal seams. Bake at 375° for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
- Prepare gravy according to package directions.Add the prepared gravy sausage mixture and stir until combined; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add egg mixture; cook and stir until almost set.
- Spread gravy mixture over prepared crust. Top with eggs followed by mushrooms and cheeses. Place in the oven for a few more minutes until eggs are set and cheese is melted. Cut into wedges and sprinkle with green onion. Yield: 8 servings.
Adapted from Taste of Home.