Here is a yummy Reuben sandwich you can make for St. Paddy’s. You can make it using frozen bread dough or with my homemade dough recipe below. It is so simple to make. You can also do the same thing but use whatever sandwich ingredients you like.
For all of you who like Facebook, you can now follow Real Mom Kitchen there. Just go to this link to become a follower!
- FROZEN BREAD DOUGH OR MAKE THE HOMEMADE DOUGH RECIPE BELOW
- THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING
- CORNED BEEF OR PASTRAMI
- SWISS CHEESE
- SAUERKRAUT (I LEFT IT OUT)
- CARAWAY SEEDS
- 1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed or make the homemade dough recipe below (I did the homemade dough)
- 1/4 cup thousand island dressing
- 1/2 lb corned beef or pastrami (I just used several packages of the 2 oz. corned beef you can get at the store for around 50 cents a package)
- 8 slices of Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut, well drained (this is optional, I left it out)
- caraway seeds, optional
- extra thousand island dressing for dipping
- Roll your bread dough out to a 9 x 13 inch rectangle. Transfer to a baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. Using kitchen shears or a pizza cutter, make 1 inch wide strips about 3 inches long down the long side of the dough. Repeat with the other long side. (see picture above)
- Down the center section of the dough, spread the thousand island dressing and top with cheese, meat, and sauerkraut, if desired. Start with one end of the dough an pull the two strips together, twist together in the center and tuck ends under. It will make a little knot shape. Also roll the end of the dough up to seal the end of the loaf. Continue with the strips until you get to the other end. Then roll the end up to seal the end.
- You don’t want any of the sandwich filling coming out during the baking process. If you want to get that rye bread flavor, you can sprinkle on some caraway seeds at this point. Bake at 350 degrees (Or the temperature listed on the package of your frozen bread dough) for 30-35 minutes until nice and golden. Allow to cool a few minutes before slicing. Cut into slices and serve with extra thousand island dressing if desired.
- 1 1/8 cups plus 2 tsp. warm water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 Tbsp yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar or honey
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 ½ cups flour
- Mix 1st 4 ingredients and let rest for 15 minutes. Add salt and eggs – gradually add flour. Your dough is ready to use for the Reuben Sandwich now. Just make sure you use a good amount of flour when rolling out the dough. This dough is quite sticky.