For today’s red, white and blue recipe, I have a salad for you. This red white and blue summer salad is the perfect accompaniment for your 4th of July bbq. Not only does it look festive but it tastes amazing. It is also a cinch to put together.
You’ve got your greens to start. Then you top it off with, blueberries, slice strawberries, and crumbled feta cheese. Then you top it off with a simple homemade dressing. If you have made my Pretty in Pink dressing before, it is the same thing just with poppyseeds mixed in.
This red white and blue summer salad includes glazed nuts. You can get them from the store, I like to get mine from the bulk section of my local Winco. Or if you prefer, you can make your own. I have included instructions at the end of the recipe if you want to do it yourself.
I also shared this recipe recently on a local lifestyle show if you want to see the video.
- ROMAINE LETTUCE
- HEAD RED LETTUCE
- GLAZED WALNUTS OR PECANS
- CRUMBLED FETA CHEESE
- RED WINE VINEGAR
- DRY MUSTARD
- RED ONION
- CANOLA OIL
- POPPY SEEDS
- 1 head romaine lettuce, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 head red lettuce, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 c. glazed walnuts or pecans ** see note below
- 2 c. sliced strawberries
- 1 ½ c. blueberries
- 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- Place lettuces in a large bowl and combine. Follow by layering the glazed nuts followed by the strawberries, blueberries, and finishing with the feta cheese.
- To make the dressing: add the sugar, vinegar, dry mustard, salt, red onion to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Then, through opening in blender lid slowly add 1 cup canola while blending.
- Add poppy seeds and pulse a few times until combined. Serve dressing with salad.
** You can buy glazed nuts from the store or make your own.
To make your own: Add 1 cup walnuts or pecans to a sauce pan with 1 Tbsp honey. Cook over medium while stirring for a few minutes until the honey begins to look foamy in the pan. Remove from the heat and place on a greased baking sheet. Allow to cool completely.
Recipe inspired from Cafe Zupas.