If you are looking for a simplified version of a traditional Thanksgiving dessert look no more. These pumpkin sundaes are a quick and simple, yet can be elegant too all by the way you serve it. I got this idea from a site called A Little Lovliness. Melissa’s site is simply lovely. I must say I would love to attend a party hosted by her or receive a gift from her. She is amazing and her photography is gorgeous.
I changed the recipe slightly from what Melissa did. I tried her recipe for caramelized pecans and didn’t like it. Maybe I cooked the sugar too long but the pecans were not good. However, good old toasted pecans work well or I have included a Paula Deen recipe I have made before for Cinnamon Toast Pecans. Love those!!!!!
Now you can use any kind of pumpkin ice cream you can find for these pumpkin sundaes. I happen to buy a pumpkin pie ice cream (Kroger brand) from my local Smith’s. I love it because it has hunks of pie crust in the ice cream. This is a great dessert for people like me who love pumpkin but hate pumpkin pie.
Here is a list of other great desserts you could use if you want to break tradition.
- Pumpkin Bars – still gettin pumpkin
- Caramelized Apple Waffle Pastries – a twist on the apple pie
- Cream Filled Pumpkin Cupcakes – still pumpkin and portion controlled
- Gingersnaps with Pumpkin Dip – still doing the pumpkin thing
- Apple Dumplings – similar to apple pie
- Pineapple Zucchini Cake (or you can use carrots in place of zucchini) – this cake is so good it would work for any special occasion
- Apple Tart – another twist on the apple pie.
Make sure to stop back on Saturday and Monday. I’ll have two recipes to help use up those Thanksgiving leftover!