It’s time for pumpkin week, a week that I look forward to each year. We are starting off with Pumpkin Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting. Pumpkin is one of those fall flavors that I love. It also let’s me know we are getting close to my favorite holiday – Thanksgiving.
I love pumpkin in about any form with the exception of pumpkin pie. I have never liked it, and have even tried it several times over the years hoping that I will change my mind. However, it has not happened.
Today’s pumpkin recipe if for pumpkin cupcakes that all begin with a cake mix, with some extra ingredients including pumpkin, buttermilk, and sour cream. These cupcakes are amazingly moist. Then they get topped with a delicious chocolate frosting that has a bit of lightness to it from some whipping cream. The final touch is a sprinkling of mini chocolate chips.
Now, I think these cupcakes are best served chilled. Not right out of the fridge, just refrigerate them and bring them out about 5 minutes before eating them.
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- mini chocolate chips, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk pumpkin, pumpkin spice, eggs, sour cream, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla together. Add in the yellow cake mix and stir just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Fill the lined muffing cups halfway full with batter. Bake at 325 degrees for 12-15 minutes just until centers barely spring back.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 1 minute, then place them on a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare the frosting – in a bowl, whip butter and cocoa powder until creamy. Add in vanilla, salt, and heavy cream.
- Add in powdered sugar one cup at a time and beat in. Pipe frosting on cupcakes and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips. Makes 24 cupcakes.
Recipe adapted from Baking with Blondie.