The Super Bowl is coming up soon and that means Super Bowl Parties. Over the next couple of weeks I will be sharing recipes that would work well for your party or for any old time. Today, I am sharing a recipe for a pork panini and an apple, ham, and brie panini recipe. I found the pork panini recipe in my recent issue of Simple and Delicious.
The sandwich is fairly straight forward. The thing that makes the sandwich special is the flavored mayo that you make to go on it. Next time I may up the cumin a little, but over all this sandwich was a hit. I also opted for ciabatta rolls in place of the french bread.
Party with Panini Sandwiches
I have also included another panini sandwich I made – apple, ham, and brie panini. This is also another yummy combination. I have however lost the picture that I took of it. Not sure what happened to it. If I find it, I’ll add it to the post.
As part of your Super Bowl party you could have a panini bar. Just set out various meats, cheeses, bread, rolls, and toppings. Don’t worry if you don’t have a panini grill – a George Forman grill works just the same or you can just put the sandwich in a skillet and press the sandwich down with another skillet on top. Only disadvantage to this method is you have to flip it over and cook the other side where if you have a George Forman or panini grill, both sides cook at the same time. Here are some other ideas for panini‘s to help inspire you.
Easy Grilled Panini Sandwich
Sophisticated Grilled Cheese (Even though this is a grilled cheese sandwich you can do the same thing as a panini)
Italian Grilled Cheese (Even though this is a grilled cheese sandwich you can do the same thing as a panini)
Hula Melt (these sandwich ingredients would make a great panini)
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread (I used ciabatta rolls)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1–1/2 pounds cooked pork, sliced
- 8 dill pickle slices
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- Cut bread in half widthwise (save one half for another use). Cut bread in half horizontally; cut into fourths widthwise. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, chili sauce, mustard and cumin; spread over bread. Layer each with pork, pickles and cheese. Replace tops.
- Cook on a panini maker or indoor grill for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with fries. Yield: 4 servings.
- 8 slices hearty bread
- Honey mustard
- 1/2 lb. shaved ham
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1 granny smith apple, sliced thinly
- 2–3 Tbs. butter, softened
- 8 slices brie cheese
- Spread honey mustard on all 8 slices of bread.
- Place one slice of brie cheese on 4 slices of bread.
- Layer with ham, apple slices and another slice of cheese. Sprinkle with pepper.
- Place another slice of bread on top.
- Spread outside with butter and place in preheated Panini press and cook until golden and cheese is melted.
This is the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in August of 2018.