If you like pina coladas, then today is your day. It’s National Pina Colada Day, so let’s all shout hooray and eat a piece of pina colada pie!
If I am gonna waste my calories on a drink, then it better be a pina colada! There is just something magical that happens when pineapple and coconut come together.
Well, in celebration of this outstanding food holiday, I am sharing a new recipe along with a collection of other ones. So be sure to check out the additional recipes from me and the other #celebratingfoodholidays bloggers at the bottom of the post.
Now, this pina colada pie recipe I have for you today is pretty spectacular if I do say so myself. One bite and you will think you have died and gone to pina colada heaven.
It all begins with a regular pie crust that then gets filled with a creamy coconut layer. Next comes an amazing homemade pineapple filling followed by a layer of coconut whipped cream. It then gets completed with a sprinkling of toasted coconut and a maraschino cherry for each slice.
My favorite kind of pie is a coconut cream pie, but I think this is my new favorite! It’s creamy, flavorful and decadent!
- 1 prepared pie shell
- Pineapple Filling
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 16 oz can crushed pineapple, with juice
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 tsp coconut extract
- Coconut Cream Filling
- 6 oz. light cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 tsp rum extract
- 3/4 of an 8 oz container of cool whip
- Coconut Whipped Cream
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp pineapple juice
- 1/4 tsp coconut extract
- Optional garnish – toasted coconutand maraschino cheries
- For the pineapple filling – In a large sauce pan, whisk sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Set aside 2 Tbsp juice from the can of pineapple to use later for whipped cream
- Add the pineapple and water to the sauce pan. Cook over medium-high heat, stir constantly until mixture thickens and come to a boil. Allow to boil for 1 1/2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Stir in 1/4 tsp coconut extract and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, coconut extract and coconut rum together with a mixer. Then fold in the Cool Whip.
- Pour the coconut cream cheese filling into cooled pie crust and smooth into an even layer
- Then top with cooled pineapple mixture. Spread into an even layer and refrigerate until firm.
- To make the whipped cream, whip whipping cream in a bowl with a mixer until it begins to thicken.
- Add powdered sugar, pineapple juice and coconut extract and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream on the top of the pie. Garnish with toasted coconut and cherries just before serving if desired.
Recipe adapted from Life, Love and Sugar.
Celebrating Food Bloggers Pina Colada Recipes (all pictured above)
Tropical Piña Colada Cupcakes from Life Made Simple
Pina Colada Bread from Creations by Kara
Pina Colada Cupcakes from The Baker Upstairs
Vegan Pina Colada Cocktail from Namely Marly
Pina Colada Tembleque (Pineapple Coconut Pudding) from Foodie with Family
Pina Colada Grilled Pineapple from Hey Grill, Hey
Pina Colada Popsicles from Gather for Bread
More Pina Colada Recipes from Real Mom Kitchen
More Celebrating Food Bloggers Pina Colada Recipes
Tropical Cinnamon Rolls from Life Made Simple
Tropical Banana Bread from Life Made Simple
Dark Chocolate Tropical Granola Bars from Life Made Simple
Pina Colada Bread from Gather for Bread
Pina Colada Fruit Dip from Gather for Bread