Mashed potatoes are a side that compliment many main dishes so well. There are a favorite of mine and today I have the perfect version to make!
You can use any potato to make them, but I used Yukon Gold. I love how they have a buttery flavor to them and they also have a nice golden color.
What makes these perfect mashed potatoes is a combination of 3 items – butter, half and half, and cream cheese. This triple combination make them amazingly smooth and creamy!
These can also be made ahead of time and kept in the freezer for up to a month. You can just throw them straight in the oven to reheat, but it will take an hour and a half to cook them. I recommend doubling the recipe when you make it. Then you can eat one and freeze one!
Perfect Mashed Potatoes
Real Mom Kitchen
- 3 lb Russet Red, or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅓ cup half and half
- 4 oz of light cream cheese cut into cubes
- pepper to taste
- Place dice potatoes into a large pot with enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat slightly. Cover and cook for 16-20 minutes until potatoes are fold tender and drain.
- Add remaining ingredients in with the potatoes. Cover and let side for a couple of minutes to soften the butter and cream cheese.
- Mash with a potato masher or beat with a hand mixer until smooth. Do not over mix or potatoes will get gummy.
To bake, place in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until fully heated.
Recipe adapted from Pillsbury.