Peanut butter and chocolate is one of those classic combination’s like meat and potatoes, apple pie and vanilla ice cream, Sonny and Cher. The two were made for each other, right? So I saw an adaptation of a Martha Stewart recipe for Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies over at Fake Ginger. I decided to simplify the recipe even more by using a brownie mix. They turned out delicious. Soft chocolaty brownie with sweet peanut butter pockets throughout. What a better way to start of the weekend than with these babies! YUM! I think the kiddos would love to come home from school to one of these with a big glass of milk. These were gone in a flash at my house.
I also have a fabulous giveaway today from Nestle. This should help one lucky reader start the school year off right. The Nestle prize pack includes a $25 gift card to Walmart to help with school supplies, a NESQUIK® lunch box, product from RAISINETS® and a mix of free coupons from NESTLÉ® Pure Life, OVALTINE®, TOLL HOUSE® Refrigerated Cookie Dough, TOLL HOUSE Morsels, NESQUIK, COFFEE-MATE®, DRUMSTICKS® and CARNATION® BREAKFAST ESSENTIALS™ to help with breakfast, lunches for school, and snacks for after school.
Additionally, there is a larger giveaway at nestlefamily.com which is the Happy New School Year Sweepstakes. You can enter every day for a chance to win the grand prize of $5,000 worth of back-to-school essentials plus a $2,000 NESTLÉ Literacy Grant for your school, as well as daily prizes from Crayola. The sweepstakes ends October 15, 2010.
This giveaway is also in partnership with Reading is Fundamental. As a proud partner of RIF, the NESTLÉ Family is sending me $50 worth of books to donate to a local RIF school of my choice. I am thrilled to be able to give those books to my local school on their behalf.
To enter the giveaway, leave me a comment about a back to school tradition that you have. Do you make a certain breakfast on the first day of school? Do you take each child on their own shopping trip for clothing or supplies? Whatever you do, let me know. You have until Monday September 13 at 10 pm (MST) to enter. Winner will be selected using random.org and will be notified by email.
Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
FOR THE BROWNIE BATTER
- 1 pkg of brownie mix (the 9 x 13 inch size)
- plus water, eggs, and oil for cakelike version of brownie mix
FOR THE FILLING
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven according directions on brownie mix . Line an 8-inch square baking pan with, allowing a 2-inch overhang. Spray bottom of pan with non-stick spray.
- Make batter according to direction on box for cake like brownies. (This usually means just adding 3 eggs instead of 2)
- Make filling: Stir together butter, confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, salt, and vanilla in a bowl until smooth.
- Pour one-third of batter into prepared pan; spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Drop dollops of half of the peanut butter filling (about 1 tablespoon each) on top of batter, spacing about 1 inch apart. I put 9 drops.
- Drizzle remaining batter on top, and gently spread to fill pan. Drop dollops of remaining half of filling on top. Gently swirl peanut butter filling into batter with a butter knife, running the knife lengthwise and crosswise through layers. Be careful to not get the knife to the very bottom of the batter of you may cut the foil.
- Bake according to brownie mix directions for 8 x 8 inch pan until a toothpick inserted into brownies comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet. Let cool slightly in pan, about 15 minutes. Lift out; let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares. Makes 9-12 brownies.
This recipe was tested using Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie mix.