This post contains affiliate links.
Brownies are a staple when it comes to desserts. I am amazed at how many recipes you can find for this simple dessert. Well, today I am sharing a recipe for a chocolate frosted brownies.
This brownie is prepared in an 8 x 8 inch baking dish. It uses melted unsweetened chocolate to give this brownie it’s chocolate flavor. Then you also fold chocolate chips into the batter. If you like nuts in your brown feel free to substitute half or all of the chocolate chips for nuts.
As far as sugar goes, this recipe uses both regular and brown sugar. Then you have the usual culprits in the batter for these chocolate frosted brownies. There is butter, eggs, vanilla, flour, baking powder, and salt. The results are a brownie that is dense and chewy in texture. Then it even gets better with a layer of sweet chocolate frosting on top. It’s the perfect way to finish these brownies off.
This frosting is made the the usual butter cream ingredients. There is butter, cocoa powder, salt, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk or cream. Milk will do the job but using cream will give you a super creamy frosting.Print
Chocolate Frosted Brownies
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 9 servings 1x
- THE BROWNIES:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 6 Tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3–5 Tbsp milk or cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8 inch square baking dish with foil, letting the excess hang over the edges. This helps make it easy to remove the brownies from the pan and cut them. Lightly grease the foil; set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate and butter for the brownies. Microwave for 1 minute increments at 50% power, stirring in between, until the chocolate and butter are melted and combined.
- Whisk in the sugars into the chocolate mixture. Then whisk in the eggs and the vanilla. Add in the flour, baking powder and salt. Fold the dry ingredients in with a rubber spatula until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Remove the brownies from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
- For the frosting, cream together the butter, cocoa powder, and salt on medium speed for about 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the powdered sugar. Beat together to incorporate the sugar. Add the vanilla and milk. Beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled brownies. Store the brownies in an airtight container, or tightly wrapped, at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. I prefer these brownies chilled. Makes 9 servings.
Doubling the Brownies: this recipe can be doubled for a 9X13-inch pan. Bake for about 5 minutes less than the recipe states below and increase as needed while you check for doneness.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Recipe adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.