So yesterday, I shared an at home version of my favorite Olive Garden soup. Today is an at home version of my second favorite Olive Garden soup – Pasta E Fagioli.
Pasta E Fagioli means pasta and beans in Italian and is traditionally a meatless dish. This version however, includes meat along with another version I have shared before. This soup is very hearty and filling. One bowl always leaves my belly full!
The other bonus to this recipe is that it cooks in the slow cooker! Now, you do need to cook the pasta separately though and add it to the soup. This keeps it from getting mushy.
If you want to get breadstick close to what you get at Olive Garden., I have found some brown and serve breadstick at Costco in the bread isle. Just brush with garlic butter after baking. The salad dressing is also available in stores now too.
Pasta E Fagioli
Real Mom Kitchen
- ½ lb ground beef
- ½ lb Italian sausage
- ½ onion diced
- 1 ½ carrots shredded
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- ½ 16 oz can red kidney beans, drained
- ½ 16 oz can cannellini beans, drained
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 ½ tsp oregano
- 2 ½ tsp parsley
- pepper to taste
- 1 ¼ cups pasta sauce
- 4 oz or 2/3 cup ditali pasta uncooked
- In a skillet, brown beef and sausage until fully cooked and drain off any excess grease.
- Add cooked meat to a large crock pot along with all the other ingredients EXCEPT for the pasta.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours of on high for 4-5 hours.
- Before serving soup, cook pasta according to package directions and mix into soup. Serves 6-8
Recipe adapted from Favorite Family Recipes.