Today, I introduce you to the homemade one pot mac and cheese recipe. In order to achieve the one pot requirement, the noodles are cooked in the milk – genius right? The starch from the pasta helps thicken the milk. The milk works as the liquid to cook the pasta and also gets absorbed into the pasta. Then you just add a little salt, butter and mustard powder to flavor. Finally, it’s time for the cheese portion of this mac and cheese. You use some Monterrey jack cheese and some cheddar cheese. That is it.
Definitely, better than the boxed mac and cheese. Me and the hubby liked it. However, the kids were not so hot on it. So no guarantees if you serve it to your kiddos. My munchkins said “it’s tooooo cheesy”! Say what? Oh well, points for a parent pleasing mac and cheese recipe, right? I added bacon to the top of mine. I do think you need to add something to this one pot mac and cheese to balance the cheesy aspect. Some ham would also be a great addition.
- ELBOW MACARONI OR SHELL PASTA
- SKIM MILK
- DRIED MUSTARD
- MONTERREY JACK CHEESE
- CHEDDAR CHEESE
One Pot Mac and Cheese
Real Mom Kitchen
- 2 cups elbow macaroni or shell pasta
- 2 cups skim milk plus more if needed
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ½ tsp dried mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup grated Monterrey jack cheese
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- Place uncooked macaroni in a colander and rinse with water, then allow to drain.
- In a large sauce pan, add the macaroni, milk, butter, dried mustard, and salt.
- Bring to a simmer cover medium heat. Once it comes to a simmer, turn down to low.
- It this point you need to say right by the pot and stir. You will stir for 15-20 minutes until the milk is mostly absorbed and the pasta is tender. You can add more milk if needed. Stirring will prevent a sticky burnt mess.
- Add the cheese and stir to combine.
- Remove the pot from the heat and cover with the lid and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir and taste. Add more salt if necessary. Will serve 4.
Recipe adapted from White On Rice Couple.