Santa would be more than happy to find these oats and everything bars waiting for him with a glass of milk on Christmas Eve. I can’t remember where I got this recipe from, but these are easy and so delicious.
There is a sugary layer of oats and flour on the top and bottom of these bars. In the center, you find chocolate and caramel. The caramel in these are nice and soft. It’s made from melting Kraft caramels with milk. Oats, chocolate, and caramel – who could ask for anything more in a tasty bar.
- 1 (14 oz) package individually (about 40–49 caramels) wrapped caramels or 1 (10 oz) bag caramel bits
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Peel the plastic wrapping from the caramels and melt them in a saucepan over medium heat along with the milk. ( If using a microwave, use a large, microwave-safe bowl, melt the caramels and milk in the microwave at medium power for 2 to 3 minutes, checking every 20 to 30 seconds.) Stir and set aside.
- Melt the margarine and combine with flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Press slightly more than half the oat mixture into a greased 11 x 7 inch pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of the mixture, then pour the caramel over the chips. Top with remaining oat mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes; cool. Cut into bars.
*****You can also use quick oats, but I used regular. You can also add 1/2 cup chopped nuts when you add the chocolate chips. Plus, if you don’t have the wrapped caramels, delete the wrapped caramels and milk and mix 1 (12 1/2 ounce) jar caramel ice cream topping (1 cup) with 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour in it’s place.
This is the original photo from this post when it was first posted in December 2008.