So my absolute favorite pie is a coconut cream pie! I love the thick custard that envelops the sweet coconut followed by the fluffy whipped cream and sprinkling of crunchy toasted coconut.
Well, today for lemon week, my favorite pie get the addition of lemon. The tangy lemon coconut cream pie is the perfect compliment to the sweet coconut.
I upped the coconut flavor of this recipe by using store bought coconut macaroons for the crust. However, you can always swap that out for a prepared graham cracker crust instead. However, the cookies just up the coconut flavor to this pie!
- 1 (13 oz) pkg. Mother’s Macaroons coconut cookies
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 oz. light cream cheese, softened
- 1 3/4 cup of milk
- 2 (3.4 oz) pkg. instant vanilla pudding
- zest of 2 lemons
- 3/4 cup light sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a blender or food processor, crush cookies to create crumbs. Mix the melted butter with the crumbs and press into a 9 inch pie plate. Bake for 10 minutes and allow to cool.
- Spread coconut into the bottom of a shallow oven safe dish and bake at 350 degrees for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until toasted. Allow to cool.
- In a bowl, beat whipping cream with powdered sugar and lemon juice until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and slow beat in the milk. Then add the dry pudding mix and beat for 1 minute. Fold the sour cream into the mixture. Then fold in half of the prepared whipping cream along with the lemon zest.
- Spoon mixture into cooled crust. Place in fridge for 2 hours. to set. Also place remaining whipped cream in fridge until time to serve.
- To serve, garnish with remaining whipped cream and toasted coconut. Serve 8.