Today’s recipe is a simple but yummy cake that will feed a crowd. I found it on the good old Betty Crocker website. I love recipes that use my jelly roll pan especially when I need a treat to feed a big group. I must say that my hubby is not a fan of lemon desserts. However, I got him to give this one a try and he was going back for seconds. The lemon in this is not overpowering. It’s just a pleasant little fresh taste of lemon in a deliciously sweet and moist cake.
If you need any other sweets that will feed a crowd, here are my favorites!
I wanted to give you all a heads up that starting Monday, I will begin sharing my experiences from an event I went to called ” Baking with Betty”. And yes you guessed right, it was the big Betty, Betty Crocker. I will have 4 days full of what I learned and what I tried. I must say that I did come home crashing from a sugar high. I did it all for YOU though (he he). I had to sample all those sweet sensations so I could share it all with you (he he). So be sure to stop by next week for all the details.
Lemon Buttermilk Cake
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® lemon cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
Frosting and Garnish
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened (I’m a butter girl)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups powdered sugar
1. Heat oven to 350°F (or 325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Spray bottom and sides of 15x10x1-inch pan with baking spray with flour.
2. In large bowl, beat cake mix, buttermilk, oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
3. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
4. In medium bowl, beat shortening, butter, grated lemon peel, lemon juice and powdered sugar on high speed until smooth and creamy; add more lemon juice if needed. Spread over cake.