Potato salad is an American classic in my book. Over the years, I was never really happy with the potato salad recipe I had. It never tasted like my mom’s when I made it. Then one day, I decided to try one that I saw on a television show. I thought it was good, but not quite good enough. So, I made some changes and ended up with the perfect salad. I now love to make the version I now call Laura’s Potato Salad.
The recipe is the perfect size for my family of five. There is usually even a little bit leftover. This is a recipe I’ll definitely pass on to my kids. The thing I love about this recipe is you can use baked potatoes for this salad. Or if needed you can boil the potatoes. Either way works. Now, I have even added instructions to cook the potatoes and eggs together in the Instant Pot. I tend to use baked potatoes of the Instant Pot method. I can bake them the day before, then peel and dice the next day.
Then you do have your usual mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and hard boiled eggs in the salad. The other ingredients that are necessarily usual are sweet pickle relish, green onion, bacon bits, and a little sugar. In my opinion it’s the perfect potato salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use any type of potatoes for the potato salad?
Russet, Yukon Gold, or red potatoes will work well. Choose waxy potatoes for a firmer texture.
Can I make potato salad in advance?
Yes, making it ahead allows the flavors to meld. Just refrigerate until serving.
How long does potato salad last in the refrigerator?
It’s best if consumed within 3-4 days. Since it’s a mayonnaise based dressing, be mindful of food safety guidelines.
- SWEET RELISH
- YELLOW MUSTARD
- GREEN ONION
- BACON BITS, IF DESIRED (CAN COOK BACON AND MAKE BITS OR USE HORMEL REAL BACON BITS)
Laura’s Potato Salad
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup hard boiled eggs about 4 eggs
- ⅛ cup sweet relish
- ¾ tsp. yellow mustard
- ⅛ cup green onion diced
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 ½ pounds baked potatoes peeled (approx 5 large) or peel and boil potatoes for approx 20 min
- Bacon bits if desired (can cook bacon and make bits or use Hormel real bacon bits)
- Mix mayo, relish, mustard, salt and sugar. Then add potatoes, green onion, egg. Combine and refrigerate. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Mix in bacon just before serving. Serves 8-10.
This is the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in July 2014.