Potato salad is an American classic in my book. Over the years, I was never really happy with the potato salad recipe I had. It never tasted like my mom’s when I made it. Then one day, I decided to try one that I saw on a television show. I thought it was good, but not quite good enough.
So, I made some changes and ended up with the perfect salad. I now love to make potato salad. The recipe is the perfect size for my family of five. There is usually even a little bit leftover. This is a recipe I’ll definitely pass on to my kids.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup hard boiled eggs (about 4 eggs)
- 1/8 cup sweet relish
- ¾ tsp. yellow mustard
- 1/8 cup green onion, diced
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 ½ pounds baked, peeled (approx 5 large) or peel and boil potatoes for approx 20 min
- Bacon bits, if desired (can cook bacon and make bits or use Hormel real bacon bits)
- Mix mayo, relish, mustard, salt and sugar. Then add potatoes, green onion, egg. Combine and refrigerate. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Mix in bacon just before serving. Serves 8-10.
This is the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in July 2014.