Mac and Cheese is one of those comfort foods that many enjoy, like today’s Italian Mac and Cheese recipe. It’s also a dish kids that many kids have been known to live on in their early years. I know that all 3 of my kids did along with chicken nuggets.
Tender pasta coated in a rich creamy sauce is simple and satisfying. This recipe gives that standard recipe a minor Italian twist by changing up the cheese used and adding in some Italian seasoning.
- 1 (16 oz) pkg penne pasta
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups milk
- 4 oz or 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 oz or 1 cup shredded provolone
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a sauce pan melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and Italian seasoning and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk and allow the mixture to thicken. Add cheeses and whisk until fully combined and melted.
- Add cheese sauce to the cooked pasta and stir to combine. Sauce will thickens as it sits. Serve 4-6.
Recipe adapted from The Slow Roasted Italian.