I have never been one to really like a Mexican dish made with pasta. I just have a hard time thinking that the combination works well. That was up until now.
Orzo is a pasta that is similar in size to rice. However, it cook must faster than rice. The actual cooking that occurs with this Instant Pot Taco Orzo recipe only takes 1 minute in the pressure cooker!
This is just like a taco bowl but made with orzo. You can top it with anything you would put on a taco. For the recipe, I included what we like to top this with.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/3 cup uncooked orzo
- 1/2 cup green taco sauce or green enchilada sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- pico de gallo or salsa
- cilantro for garnish
- sour cream
- Preheat instant pot to saute. Add in beef and onion and cook until beef iis fully cooked. Drain off any excess grease. Turn off saute.
- Add in the garlic and saute until fragrant. Mix in the broth.
- Sprinkle in the orzo and add in the taco sauce, beans, and taco seasoning. DO NOT STIR.
- Cover and seal. Set to manual for 1 minute.Allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes. The manually release any remaining pressure.
- Remove lid and mix in cheese until melted.
- Serve and top with cilantro, pico de gallo, and sour cream. Serves 6-8.
Recipe adapted from 365 Days of Slow Cooking.