I have never been one to really like a Mexican dish made with pasta. I just have a hard time thinking that the combination works well. That was up until now with this Instant Pot taco orzo.
Orzo is a pasta that is similar in size to rice. However, it cooks must faster than rice. The actual cooking that occurs with this Taco Orzo recipe only takes 1 minute in the pressure cooker!
To make this, you are going to sauté some beef and onion in the insert of your Instant Pot. Then you’ll mix in some garlic. At this point you will turn off the sauté mode and add in the orzo pasta, taco sauce, beans, and taco seasoning. Now it’s time for that 1 minute cook on high pressure.
This is just like a taco bowl but made with orzo. You can top it with anything you would put on a taco. For the recipe, I included what we like to top this with.
- GROUND BEEF
- CHICKEN BROTH
- ORZO PASTA
- GREEN TACO SAUCE OR GREEN ENCHILADA SAUCE
- CANNED BLACK BEANS
- TACO SEASONING
- SHARP CHEDDAR
- PICO DE GALLO OR SALSA
- CILANTRO FOR GARNISH
- SOUR CREAM
Instant Pot Taco Orzo
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ cup diced onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 ⅓ cup uncooked orzo
- ½ cup green taco sauce or green enchilada sauce
- 1 14.5 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- pico de gallo or salsa
- cilantro for garnish
- sour cream
- Preheat instant pot to saute. Add in beef and onion and cook until beef iis fully cooked. Drain off any excess grease. Turn off saute.
- Add in the garlic and saute until fragrant. Mix in the broth.
- Sprinkle in the orzo and add in the taco sauce, beans, and taco seasoning. DO NOT STIR.
- Cover and seal. Set to manual for 1 minute.Allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes. The manually release any remaining pressure.
- Remove lid and mix in cheese until melted.
- Serve and top with cilantro, pico de gallo, and sour cream. Serves 6-8.
Recipe adapted from 365 Days of Slow Cooking.