This post may contain affiliate links.
Mexican rice is a nice staple side dish for just about any Mexican dish. With the use of an Instant Pot, you can have a batch of Mexican rice ready to go in 15 minutes.
Not only does this Mexican rice make a nice side dish, but it also works well as an additional ingredient to use as a filling for burritos. You can even use it as a base for a rice bowl or burrito bowl. Heck, you can even add it to a Mexican salad.
If you own an Instant Pot, this is a recipe you simply must have. It’s a basic recipe that you will use often.
Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Turn the Instant Pot on to saute. Add your oil and onions to the pot. Saute the onions for about 4 minutes.
- Add in the rice and garlic. Saute for about 2 minutes, until the rice begins to turn a golden color.
- Add in the tomato sauce, chicken stock, salt, and cumin. Stir and scrape the bottom so the rice doesn’t burn.
- Close and lock the lid. Set the Instant Pot to Manual for 8 minutes.
- When 8 minutes is up, do a manual release. Fluff with a fork and serve. Serves 6.
This recipe is adapted from Ginger Casa.