I had a recipe for homemade oreo cookies, however, I couldn’t find it in my barrage of recipes. My husband loves these cookies and I wanted to make them for him. I found this version at Not So Secret Family Recipes.
When I made this, I halved the cookie recipe but made the full frosting recipe. We love lots of frosting. When I pulled the cookies out at 8 minutes they didn’t seem cooked enough, so I ended up cooking them for 10 minutes. I think I actually over cooked them. They were still good, but next time I’ll cook them for 9 minutes.
With the first tray, I just dropped the dough on the sheet with my cookie scoop and the cookies came out too puffy. I wanted that flat oreo look. So on the second tray, I flattened the dough a little before putting them in the oven. That worked great.
The other fun thing about these homemade oreo cookies is you can color the frosting to make them fun for the holidays. You can fill them with red and green colored frosting at Christmas, orange for Halloween, or even pink for Valentines Day. Or you can even use a yellow cake mix for golden oreos!
Homemade Oreo Cookies
Real Mom Kitchen
- 2 boxes devil food mix
- ⅔ cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 Tbsp butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Cups powdered sugar
- In a bowl, add the cookie ingredients and mix by hand.
- Drop spoonfuls on to cookie sheet or use a cookie scoop. Then flatten slightly.
- Bake at 350° for 8-9 minutes. Allow cookies to cool.
- In another bowl, mix the frosting ingredients together with a mixer. The frosting will seem really thick but just keep mixing.
- Spread frosting over the bottom of a cookie and top with another creating a sandwich.
- Will make 48 cookies or 24 sandwiches.
This is the original photo from this post. The above photo was updated in August 2013.