When I was a young girl, I remember making homemade hot cocoa mix and placing it in mugs to give my friends as a Christmas gift. The recipe I made was similar to this recipe but I think this recipe is even better. I think the instant chocolate pudding mix is the secret!
Mix this up to keep on hand for a quick cup of hot cocoa. You could also surprise a friend with a simple post holiday gift. It seems like after the holidays the winter blues can set in and a simple gift like this could be the sunshine someone needs. You can always hang on to this Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix recipe to use for gifts next Christmas too.
This recipe calls for non-dairy powdered coffee creamer. They have different flavors available, so you could always change up the flavor of the mix by using a flavored creamer.
- 4 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup non-dairy powdered coffee creamer
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s)
- 1 (4 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding
- Place all the ingredient together in a large bowl.
- Whisk together until well combined.
- Store in a airtight container.
- To prepare a cup of hot cocoa: add 1/4 to 1/3 cup of mix (I like 1/3 cup) to 8 oz of hot water. Stir until blended. (If using 1/3 cup per serving, you should be able to get 22 servings from this recipe.)
Recipe adapted from Mom Advice.