Hawaiian Haystacks are a staple meal at my house. If you have lived in Utah you know what they are, if not I will be in shock. It all begins with good old steamed or cooked rice, we prefer to use sticky rice. Then you make a yummy chicken sauce to ladle over the rice. You finish it off with your favorite toppings and chow mein noodles. There are so many options for topping. This is what makes it a family fave. Everyone can make it the way they like it. See my list of topping ideas below the recipe.
Usually a make a version made with cream of chicken soup. I usually do the the stovetop method and save the crock pot version when I am serving a crowds. I also tried a version before that uses no cream of soup to make it. I loved it but the family preferred the standard recipe I make. I saw this version from Jenny at Picky Palate and decided to make another attempt at a made from scratch version that does not use cream of chicken soup.
I loved Jenny’s version. the ranch dressing mix was a nice addition that gave it added flavor. Alas, my family still prefers that good old cream of chicken soup version. Well, at least I gave it a good try, right?
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp of dry Ranch Dressing seasoning packet
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken breast
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- cooked rice
- desired topping, see list of ideas in post
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Slowly whisk in flour and salt until smooth and thick.
- Slowly add in chicken broth while whisking until smooth. Continue to cook while whisking until thick like gravy.
- Add sour cream, Ranch seasoning, garlic salt, and cooked chicken breast. Stir and peper if desired.
- Serve over cooked rice with desired toppings. Serves 6.
Recipe adapted from Picky Palate.
Here are some topping ideas:
shredded cheddar cheese
diced green onion
diced fresh mushroom
Chow mein noodles
diced green pepper
or anything else that you think would be good