The strawberry enters yet again for another fabulous Valentines treat. This time it is accompanied by puff pastry along with a delectable pastry cream and some chocolate ganache. These heart shaped strawberry puffs look like you took a lot of time to make it but it really is quite simple. You can even make the pastry cream and cook the heart puffs ahead of time.
Can I just tell you how decadent this pastry cream is!!!!!! I can seriously eat this just buy the spoonful. To me, it is the star of this dish. And it is whipped together in no time by using a package of white chocolate instant pudding along with some cream and milk.
This pastry cream is awesome to use for so many other things too! Use it as a filling for pies, cream puffs, eclairs, crepes, etc. It is simple divine.
I used this Wilton heart cookie cutter to cut the hearts out but then used a knife to cut a deeper V in the top of the heart. If you don’t want to use the heart shape cookie cutter, then you can just cut each sheet into 9 squares instead.
- 1 (17.3 oz box) puff pastry sheets, thawed according to pkg directions
- 1 (3.4-3.56 oz) pkg white chocolate instant pudding (I used Hershey’s)
- 1 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp whipping cream
- 1 cup slices strawberries
- Preheat oven to 400
- Unfold pastry sheets and cut 4 hearts out of each sheet using a cookie cutter or a paring knife.
- Place heart shapes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 400 degrees fro 10-12 minutes until golden. remove from oven and cool completely.
- In a bowl whip together pudding mix with 1 1/4 cup cream and 3/4 cup milk for 2 minutes and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- When ready to serve, place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 10 section intervals stirring after each one until chocolate is melted and combined with the cream.
- To serve, slice puff hearts in half, top the bottom half with a spoonful of cream followed by some strawberry slices. Top with top half of heart puff and drizzles with the melted chocolate. Makes 8 puffs.
Recipe adapted from Kitchen Simplicity