Well, it’s the last day of lemon week and as always I saved the best for last. These Raspberry Lemon Cream Filled Puffs were my favorite of all the lemon recipes I made.
This recipe is fairly quick to put together thanks to frozen puff pastry. The puffs are ready in about an hour including 35 minutes of refrigeration time.
The lemon flavor for the creamy filling comes from a package of lemon gelatin along with lemon zest. It gives it this perfect lemony light flavor and it pairs so well with the fresh raspberries.
The recipe makes a total or 36 puffs! Think of these for Mother’s Day or baby/bridal showers. These are a great replacement mini eclairs or cream puffs on your menu.
- 1 (17.3 oz) pkg frozen puffed pastry (2 sheets), thawed according to pkg directions
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 (3 oz) pkg lemon flavored gelatin
- 1 2/3 cups whipping cream, divided
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar plus additional for dusting
- 2 cups raspberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Unfold puff pastry sheets. Following the folded lines, cut each sheet crosswise into thirds. Then cut each strip of pastry into 6 rectangles. Place the rectangles on a baking sheet, placing 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove and allow to cool completely.
- While puffs are cooling, add boiling water, lemon zest, and lemon gelatin to a medium bowl. Stir for 2 minutes to dissolve gelatin. Stir in 2/3 cups of the whipping cream and refrigerate for about 15 minutes until the mixture is thickened but not set.
- Beat the gelatin mixture for about 2 minutes until doubled in volume.
- In another bowl, whip the remaining 1 cup of whipping cream along with 1/4 cup powdered sugar.
- Fold the whipping cream into the gelatin mixture. Then fold the raspberries into the mixture. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Slice pastries in half lengthwise and fill each with a spoonful of the gelatin mixture. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Pastries and filling can be make ahead of time and then assembled before serving. However, do not add raspberries to filling until ready to serve.
Recipe adapted from Kraft.