This post contains affiliate links.
Tomato soup is one of those classic soups. Everyone needs a good tomato soup recipe. It is even better if the soup includes tortellini in it. I was on a quest to find a healthy tomato soup recipe when I found this healthy tomato tortellini soup.
This soup begins by cooking some onion in your stock pot with just a tsp of olive oil. Once that is tender, you add in some garlic and cook just until fragrant. This takes just about 1 minute.
Next you are going to add in some crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, basil, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and sugar. You are going to bring this all to a simmer and let it cook for 15 minutes. This allows all of the flavors to marry together.
Next, you will blend the soup up.
You can do this with an immersion blender, whish is the easiest way. Of you can do it in batches with a regular blender. Just remember to never fill a blender more than halfway with hot soup or you will end up with a soup explosion. Also, crack the lid too. This allows steam to escape.
After the soup is blended, you will add in the tortellini and let it cook for about 7 minutes, until tender. Last, you are going to mix in a little fat free half and half.
I am still sharing the soup recipe with all of you even though I didn’t love it. Now the soup was fine, but too tomato flavored for me and my family. I probably just need to add in more half and half, but that would affect the WW points. As is this recipe was only 6 points for me on my WW Personal Points. Another idea I had was to see if I can fine a 0 point marinara sauce and use it in place of the crushed tomatoes to give it less of a tomato flavor.
- EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- GARLIC CLOVES
- CANNED CRUSHED TOMATOES
- CHICKEN BROTH
- FRESH BASIL
- ITALIAN SEASONING
- FROZEN THREE CHEESE TORTELLINI
- FAT-FREE HALF AND HALF
Healthy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 56 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped basil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 9 oz. frozen three cheese tortellini
- 3/4 cup fat-free half and half
- In a stock pot over medium heat, add the olive oil and onions. Cook until tender and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Mix in the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, basil, Italian seasoning, salt pepper and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use an immersion blender or regular blender, blend the soup until smooth. Add the tortellini and let it simmer for 7 minutes until tortellini is cooked.
- Turn off the heat and mix in the half and half. Optional – top with more fresh basil.