I took one of my traditional recipes and converted it to a healthier version. With just a few changes to one of my chicken and wild rice soups, I was able to switch it to a Healthy Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup.
The good thing bout this recipe is the original recipe only uses 2 tablespoons of butter. However, by using a light butter it can reduce the calories a little more. So that’s what I did. Flour is not used in this original recipe either. Instead it uses cornstarch with is a healthier choice than flour. So that worked great as is.
The only two other swaps I had to do was change the cream cheese to a reduced fat cream cheese.
If you use fat free cream cheese you could reduce the calories even more. However, the soup wasn’t too bad with the reduced fat version. So, I decided to go this that without changing much of the flavor or creaminess of the soup.
The second swap I did was change out the half and half for fat free half and half. Now, fat free half and half can be hard to locate in all grocery stores. If this is the case for you, you can substitute 2/3 cups skim milk and 1/3 cup whipping cream. Now, I have had a hard time finding it at my local Walmart and Harmon’s. I was able to find it at Smith’s which is a Kroger store.
I must say, I could tell the difference between this healthy version and my original version. This will be the version I make all the time now. This was only 6 points on my WW Personal Points versus 11 points per serving with the original recipe.
- LAND O LAKES LIGHT BUTTER SPREAD WITH CANOLA OIL
- REDUCED SODIUM CHICKEN BROTH
- BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS
- UNCLE BEN’S LONG GRAIN & WILD RICE
- DRIED PARSLEY
- COLD WATER
- REDUCED FAT CREAM CHEESE
- SKIM MILK
- FAT FREE HALF AND HALF
Click here to get your WW Personal Points for this recipe.
- 2 Tbsp Land O Lakes Light butter spread with canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 (14 oz) cans chicken broth
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, uncooked and diced
- 1 (6 oz) pkg. Uncle Ben’s Long Grain & Wild Rice
- 1/2 Tbsp dried parsley
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- 4 oz reduced fat cream cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup fat free half and half
- Turn on the sauté mode on the Instant Pot. Add in the butter until melted. Add in the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook while stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken broth, chicken, wild rice with it’s seasoning packet, and parsley.
- Lock lid in place, use manual high pressure for 5 minutes. When cook time ends, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then finish with a quick pressure release. Remove lid.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the 2 Tbsp water. Turn on to sauté and mix in the cornstarch while stirring constantly.
- Add cubed cream cheese, and stir until cheese is melted. Add milk and half and half and heat through, but do not bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Makes 6 servings.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes plus time to come to pressure
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American