I have shared with you before how to make pizza on the grill and a grilled margherita pizza. This time I am going to show you how to make grilled pizza pockets. You can fill them with whatever you like. I used cheese, pepperoni, salami, and olives. I let everyone fill there own and then used something on the outside of the pizza to identify whose packet is whose. Like a slice of pepperoni or a half slice of salami.
If you want to use some peppers, onions, mushrooms, or other fresh vegetables, you need to cook them in a little olive oil before you use them. You want to get the moisture out of them or the moisture will come out while cooking in the pizza pocket and give you soggy dough. You can never loose with pizza at my house and my oldest told me we definitely need to make these grilled pizza pockets again.
I also have a guest post today over at Eat at Home. If you want to check it out, pop on over there too.
- RECIPE OF FAST AND EASY PIZZA DOUGH
- PIZZA SAUCE OR SPAGHETTI SAUCE
- TOPPINGS OF YOUR CHOICE (I USED PEPPERONI, SALAMI, AND OLIVES – IF USING FRESH VEGGIES BE SURE TO FOLLOW MY TIP RIGHT ABOVE THIS RECIPE)
- JOHNNY’S SEASONING (OR YOU CAN USE GRATED PARMESAN WITH SOME ITALIAN SEASONING AND A LITTLE GARLIC POWDER MIXED IN)
- OLIVE OIL
Grilled Pizza Pockets
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 recipe of fast and easy pizza dough
- ½ cup pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce plus additional for dipping (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella
- toppings of your choice I used pepperoni, salami, and olives - if using fresh veggies be sure to follow my tip right above this recipe
- ¼ cup Johnny's Seasoning or you can use grated Parmesan with some Italian seasoning and a little garlic powder mixed in
- olive oil
- Divide you pizza dough into 8 balls. Roll out each ball into a 6 inch round.
- Spread 1 Tbsp of sauce in the center of each round, leaving about an inch from the edge without sauce.
- Top each round with 1/4 cup of cheese follow by some of your toppings. Fold in half and seal the edges together by pinch the dough.
- Now you are going to grill these over indirect heat. In order to do this, turn you grill on with all of it on high. Get it nice and hot, about somewhere between 400-500 degrees. Then turn the heat off to half of the grill. Mine has 3 sections so I turned 1 at one end of the grill, turned the middle to low, and left the other end on high.
- Brush the bottom side of you pockets with a little olive oil and place them oil side town on the part of the grill that has been turned off. Brush the tops with oil and then sprinkle 1/2 Tbsp of the seasoning over each pocket.
- Close the lid of the grill and let them cook for about 8-10 minutes until the dough is completely cooked and the cheese is melted. Try to not peak at them during this time because you will lover the temperature. If you must peak, only do it once.
Recipe inspired by $5 Dinners.