Looking for a light refeshing summer dessert? Well, these fruit spring rolls are the answer. The rice paper wrapped is filled with fresh fruit along with spinach.
I served these spring rolls with strawberries, kiwi, mango, banana, and baby spinach on the inside. I was going for a nice variety of color. You could always use any other fruit that you like. Slice apple or pineapple would be excellent.
I have anly made spring rolls twice so far. I did a savory version and then this dessert version. There is a little of a learning curve with learning how to roll the rice papers. I don’t consider my self a pro yet. I think it just takes some practice to get them looking fabulously rolled. Just keep in mind to roll them just like a burrito.
I also served these spring rolls with a simple chocolate sauce and an easy caramel sauce. I think I liked the caramel sauce best. However, I was thinking, you could even serve thiese with poppyseed dressing to dip these in. I mean it’s basically like a spinach salad rolled up in rice paper. It would be delicious.
- 1 –2 bananas, sliced
- 1/4 lemon
- 8 strawberries, sliced
- 2 kiwis, sliced
- 1 mango, cut into stips
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 6 rice paper wraps
- For Caramel Sauce:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt
- For Chocolate Sauce:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Drizzle some lemon juice over the apples to prevent from browning.
- Fill a large bowl with warm water. Dip one wrapper into the hot water for 1 second to soften. Lay wrapper flat on a cutting board.
- Leaving about 1 inch of open rice paper around the edges, cover the lower third of the paper with a few stawberries, kiwi, mango, and banana. Top with some of the spinach.
- Fold the lower edge up over the fillings, rolling upward just until the filling is compactly enclosed. Fold over the short sides like you would to make a burrito. Lastly, roll it up. Repeat this with the remaining ingredients until all 6 wrapppers are filled. Makes 6 sping rolls.
- To prepare the caramel sauce, place the butter and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Melt the butter and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add heavy cream and cook for about 5 minutes, whisking frequently. Add vanilla extract and salt.
- To make the chocolate sauce, heat the heavy cream in the microwave for 30 seconds or so. Pour it over chocolate chips and let it stand for a minute. Stir until smooth.
This recipe is adapted from Sweet and Savory.