Peach season is in full swing here in Utah and I’m talking Fresh Peach Topping. I always look forward to this time of year in Utah. It begins with raspberries and then moves on to peaches. Both of these are precursors to my favorite season – Autumn. So I love how I get lead right into the season with these fruits.
I was lucky enough to have my hubby get a whole box of Brigham City peaches from our local farmer’s market. I have loved eating them, but my family is actually tired of them now. I could go for another box! I love to eat them for breakfasts tossed in some sugar then topped with some milk. However, with a whole box of them, I needed to do some other things with them.
With part of my box of peaches, I decided make some fresh peach topping to go on top of waffles. This topping would really work for just about anything. This topping isn’t’ overly sweet and lets the flavor of the fresh peaches be the focus. Don’t forget the whipped cream though. I love the combination of peaches and cream and topped my waffles accordingly.
Fresh Peach Topping for Waffles, Pancakes, etc.
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 ½ cup water
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp cornstarch
- dash of nutmeg
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 drop red food coloring optional
- 1 drop yellow food coloring optional
- 4-5 fresh peaches peeled and diced
- In a large sauce pan, combine the water, sugars, and cornstarch.
- Bring mixture to a boil while stirring and boil until the mixture thickens. This should take about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk in the nutmeg, almond extract, and food coloring (if desired).
- Fold in diced peaches until peaches are well coated and combined with the mixture. Serve warm over waffles, pancakes, etc.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.