Skillet dishes like this easy smoked sausage skillet are great to make during the summer. Since all the cooking is done on the stove top it doesn’t get your kitchen all hot.
I love this simple dish. It comes together quickly thanks to the smoked sausage and instant rice. The sausage is fully cooked so you are just heating it up and the instant rice cooks up in just 5 minutes.
You could even get the kids to make this dish for dinner. Summer is the perfect time to get the kids cooking in the kitchen.
Easy Smoked Sausage Skillet
Real Mom Kitchen
- 2 cups instant rice
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 pkg Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage diagonally cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 large red bell pepper sliced thin
- 1 small onion sliced thin
- 1 pkg frozen broccoli florets thawed
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- Cook rice according to package instructions and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil with the crushed garlic. Add in the smoked sausage and cook until sausage is browned.
- Stir in the pepper, onion, broccoli, water and tomato sauce. Simmer for about 10 minutes until vegetables are tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the prepared rice to the skillet, sprinkle with cheese and serve. Serves 4-6.
Recipe adapted from Hillshire Farms.