My family loves panini sandwiches. Today, I have a recipe for an easy sheet pan panini for you. This is a way to make a panini sandwich for 6 people at one time. You could actually fit 2 of these on the baking sheet and make enough for 12 at one time if needed.
The sandwich is made on 1 loaf of French bread. Then, no panini maker is necessary. This sandwich bakes in the oven. To get the effect of the panini press, you place a baking sheet on top of the sandwich and press. Then you place a heavy oven safe pot, cast iron skillet or pizza stone on the baking sheet to keep it pressed while it bakes.
For this version, I used what my family loves the most on their panini. I used turkey, provolone cheese and pesto. However, feel free to change up the meat, cheese, or spread you use. There is also a chipotle mayo you can buy from the store that we also love. The cheese is on the bottom of this panini, so after it cooks you can even add additional sandwich topping that you may want. These are items that would not to be good to include in the sandwich while it bakes. You can add tomato, lettuce, cucumber, olives, pickles, etc. Use whatever you like. Get creative and use the process to make a variety of sandwiches.
- LOAF OF FRENCH OR ITALIAN BREAD
- OVEN ROASTED TURKEY
- PROVOLONE CHEESE
- PREPARED PESTO
- 1 loaf French or Italian bread
- 1 lb oven roasted turkey
- 1/2 lb provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice loaf of bread in half lengthwise. Place the bottom half on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Top the bottom half with cheese followed by the turkey.
- Spread the pesto over the top half of the bread. Then place onto of the turkey. Place another baking sheet on top of the sandwich with the rimmed side facing up. Press down on the sandwich. Place a heavy oven safe pot, cast iron skillet, or a pizza stone on top of the baking sheet to add weight to press the sandwich. Place the whole thing in the 350 degree oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the sandwich is toasty warm and the cheese is melted. Carefully remove the pot or pizza stone and the top baking tray. Transfer the sandwich to a cutting board and cut into slices. Serves 6.
This recipe is adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.