I absolutely love this Instant Pot Hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe. It uses actually corn tortillas in the soup to make it thick and hearty. Cheese and sour cream to help make the soup thick and creamy.
I also love that this soup includes a good amount of veggies. There is onion, celery, carrots, canned roasted tomatoes, and green chilies. The onion is the only ingredient you need to sauté with a little oil before adding in all of the other ingredients. This soup includes chicken broth, taco seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, chicken, and the actual corn tortillas.
At this point it’s time to cook the soup. You cook it on the soup setting and then allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes. Next, you release any remaining pressure manually. You will now need to remove the chicken and shred it. Then you use some of the broth to temper to sour cream while whisking until smooth. Last you will mix in the sour cream and cheese.
Serve this soup up and top it with the desired toppings. I use more cheese and sour cream along with some fresh cilantro. Sliced or diced avocado, tortilla chips, and tomato are also great options.
- VEGETABLE OR CORN OIL
- CHICKEN BROTH
- FIRE ROASTED PETITE DICED TOMATOES
- DICED GREEN CHILES
- TACO SEASONING
- GARLIC POWDER
- BLACK PEPPER
- BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS (FRESH OR FROZEN)
- CORN TORTILLAS
- SOUR CREAM
- MONTEREY JACK CHEESE
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: AVOCADOS, TORTILLA CHIPS, CILANTRO, SOUR CREAM, ETC.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable or corn oil
- 1 diced onion
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 (14 oz) fire roasted petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- 3 Tbsp of taco seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (fresh or frozen)
- 10 (8 inch corn tortillas) or 14 (5 1/2 inch corn tortillas), cut into 1 inch by 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 oz grated Monterey jack cheese
- Optional toppings: avocados, tortilla chips, cilantro, sour cream, etc.
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add in the oil and onion. Cook for about 4-5 minutes until tender. Add in the chicken broth.
- Add in the celery, carrots, tomatoes, chiles, taco seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, chicken breasts and finally the tortillas. Turn off the sauté mode.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set to cook on the SOUP for 10 minutes. When the time is up allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes and then manually vent to remove any excess pressure. Remove the lid.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Return the chicken back into the pot.
- Temper the sour cream by adding some hot soup liquid a little at a time and whisking until smooth. Slowly pour the tempered sour cream into the Instant Pot, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the cheese, salt, and pepper the soup to taste. Serve in bowls and top with desired toppings.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes plus time to come to pressure
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican
This recipe is adapted from 365 Days of Slow + Pressure Cooking.