I love naan bread but have only purchased it from the store or enjoyed it at a restaurant. Recently, I tried to make my own naan at home with this easy naan bread recipe. It really is simple to do.
The bread is as easy as making a basic bread dough. It includes ingredients that you would expect in a regular dough. It is made with eater, yeast, sugar, olive oil, egg, salt, and flour. The one ingredient that is different is plain greek yogurt.
You do need to give the dough time to rise and double in size. However, after that you just shape the dough into flat rounds and cook both sides in a skillet. Then you brust both sides of the bread with melted butter.
You can eat naan as is, but I like the garlic version. With this version, you just brush both sides of the naan with butter that has come galic in it after cooking.Print
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups flour
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 tsp garlic, minced (optional)
- In a bowl, add warm water, yeast, and sugar in a large bowl. Stir to combine and allow to sit for 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Add in olive oil, yogurt, egg, salt and 2 cups of flour. Stir together until smooth.
- Next, add enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead a few times on a floured counter until smooth.
- Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Preheat a skillet to medium heat.
- Cut dough into eight pieces. On a floured surface, roll out each piece into a 6″ circle.
- Cook each circle for 2-3 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown on the bottom. Flip over and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Brush the top (the bubbly side) of each naan with melted butter.If desired, add garlic to the butter before brushing. Makes 8 pieces.
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: Indian
Recipe is adapted from Lil Luna.