I always try and squeeze all can can out of grilling season before it ends. Change up your regular grilled hot dog by making it Carolina style hot dogs!
A Carolina style hot dog are grilled and then covered with a homemade chili and creamy cool coleslaw. You can then add some fresh diced onion and mustard too.
I prefer deli or dijon mustard over regular yellow mustard on my hot dog. I also don’t add extra onion because the coleslaw has some mixed in it.
This recipe includes a quick and easy homemade chili. It’s made with ground beef, ketchup, tomato paste, and soy sauce along with a hadful of vaious spices.
There is also a super simple coleslaw using bagged coleslaw mix along with some mayo, vinegar, sugar, canola oil, and chopped white onion. This all makes delicous Carolina style hot dogs!Print
- For the chili:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp galic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 cup water plus 2 Tbsp water, divided
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- For the coleslaw:
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped white onion
- 1 3/4 cups coleslaw mix
- 8 all beef hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- mustard and additional diced onion, if desired
- In a skillet brown the ground beef. Drain off any excess grease.
- Add in the ketchup, tomato paste, soy sauce, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, ground mustard, ground cumin, and 3/4 cup of water. Stir to combine well. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine the 2 Tbsp of water with the 2 tsp of cornstarch. Add into the chili mixture. Allow to simmer for another 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- For the coleslaw, whisk the sugar, vinegar, mayo, and canola oil. Add in the coleslaw mix and onion. Toss until coated and set aside.
- Grill the hot dogs and place in the buns. Drizzle with mustard if desired. Then top with some of the chili and then some of the coleslaw. Then you can sprinkle with a little diced onion if desired. Serves 8.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
Recipe adapted from Sugar Dish Me.