You gotta have pickles on your burger. Yesterday, I shared a basic burger recipe. Today, I have an easy way to make your own pickles for your burger. These easy homemade pickles only take about 5 minutes to make. Then they just need 2 hours in the fridge.
The great thing I like about homemade pickles is they tend to be more crisp. I used a English seedless cucumber, but any cucumber will do.
You have your basic ingredients to pickle the cucumber like water, vinegar, sugar, and salt. The flavor for these pickles come from some garlic, mustard seeds, peppercorns, and red pepper flakes. All you need is a little time to plan ahead and you can be enjoying these delicious pickles on your next burger or sandwich.
You will cook that water, vinegar, sugar and salt in a sauce pan over until the sugar and salt have completely dissolved. Then add the cooking liquid to a container along with those cucumber slices. You want those slices to be 1/4 of an inch thick. Seal the container and place in the refrigerator for that minimum of 2 hours and enjoy!
- CIDER VINEGAR
- MUSTARD SEEDS
- BLACK PEPPERCORNS
- RED PEPPER FLAKES
- LARGE CUCUMBER
Easy Homemade Pickles
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- a couple dashes of red pepper flakes
- 1 large cucumber cut into 1/4 inch slices
- In a small sauce pan, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, and salt. Cook over medium heat until sugar and salt is dissolved.
- Place all of the remaining ingredients in a heat proof container. Pour vinegar mixture of the ingredients to completely cover the cucumbers. Add additional water if needed.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours. Can store in the fridge for up to 1 week. Makes 1 pint.
Recipe adapted from All You.