Happy New Year! I am so excited to begin 2022 and to start off I am sharing a recipe for easy ground beef gyros. These are just as easy as making ground beef tacos. The beef mixture is similar to ground beef tacos.
For the beef mixture you need 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef. You will cook that along with a red pepper and an onion.
Once you fully cook the beef and make the peppers and onions translucent, you will season it with salt and pepper. You are also going to add in a can of Ro*Tel. A can of Ro*Tel is just a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies in it.
The other thing you need for these easy ground beef gyros is a simple sauce to serve them with. I think it’s what makes the gyros amazing. All you need is to mix in some blue cheese crumbles with some sour cream.
I love that strong bite that you get with the blue cheese. If you truly oppose blue cheese, you can simply omit it. Another option would be to just swap it for some feta cheese instead.
Last, these are gyros so you serve it all up in a pita. You can just buy these on the bread isle of your local grocery store.
I like to buy the large-sized pack of Papa Pita brand pitas from Costco. It’s a 12 pack and I keep it in the freezer. The pita bread is also great to use for sandwich wraps and as a crust for quick pizzas.
Easy Ground Beef Gyros
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- ¼ tsp salt or to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 10 oz can of mild Ro*Tel diced tomatoes, drained
- ½ cup of sour cream
- ¼ cup of blue cheese crumbles
- 4 whole pita breads
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef with the red pepper and onions until the beef is fully cooked, the onions become translucent, and the peppers are softened. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Add the Ro*Tel tomatoes and peppers and combine and heat through.
- In a bowl, mix together the sour cream and blue cheese.
- Dampen a few paper towels with water and wrap the pita bread in them. Put them in the microwave, and warm them up till they become easily pliable.
- For each pita, fill with about 1/4 of the ground beef mixture. Top with some of the blue cream sour cream. Makes 4 pitas.
Recipe adapted from 9 Recipes.