Winter weather calls for dreamy creamy four cheese pasta. It has been bitter cold here lately in Utah. You don’t want to be outside unless you absolutely need to be. We’ve been in the low twenties to 19 degrees for our low, but once the wind chill is added in there, it’s more like 9 or so degrees. It makes me want to just stay inside and enjoy a nice comforting bowl of hot cheesy pasta.
This pasta dish uses 4 kinds of cheese. There is cheddar, Monterrey jack, mozzarella, and colby. You just need a quarter cup of each. It’s a great combination of cheeses to incorporate flavor and creaminess. In addition to the four cheeses, the sauce is made with butter, garlic, flour, milk, cream, and Italian seasoning. You also use some pasta water if needed to get the right consistency.
For this creamy four cheese pasta dish, I wanted to use a fun pasta shape. I use gemelli but any other medium pasta shape will do like fusilli, bow tie, etc. When you cook the pasta, you also cook it with some parsley and basil too. This helps infuse more flavor into the pasta.Print
- 1 lb gemelli or fusilli shaped pasta
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp basil
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp garlic
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded colby cheese
- Cook past according to package but add the 1 tsp parsley and 1 tsp basil to the water when you add the pasta. Drain pasta reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter and add garlic. Cook it for 1 min. Add in the flour and cook on low heat until lightly browned (1 minute).
- Add in the cheese and cook the sauce till slightly thickened. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the sauce to the cooked pasta and gently toss to coat. Serve it in a bowl garnish with herbs if desired.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian
This recipe is adapted from My Tasty Curry.