Happy National Donut Day! What an awesome day, right? I must saw I really do love a good donut. When I was thinking on what to make for this epic food holiday, I thought about my most favorite donut to have as a girl – custard bismarks.
Occasionally, my mom would treat us to a custard bismark when shopping at a department store called ZCMI. It really was the best when we would get to select a treat from the bakery. I would choose an eclair or a custard bismark. It was especially great when they had a collection of treats in the day old section. I would sometimes get to have a treat and some to take home.
The custard bismark were these amazing raised donuts filled with tasty vanilla custard (just like in the eclairs) and then coated with powdered sugar. It was a sad day when ZCMI was sold to Meier and Frank in 2001 and the bakery went with the change. I could no longer visit their tasty bakery.
I keep dreaming that one day some other bakery with have the recipes and begin to share them again. However, in the meantime I decided to make an attempt to make my own version. I also wanted it to be easy. This is the recipe I came up with.
It’s not exactly the same but was a close resemblance to the original and still tasty.
I have also teamed up with some other terrific Utah bloggers to #CelebratingFood2015 ! We have put together a collection of 17 amazing donut recipes to make the celebration even better. So check out the Photo and links to additional recipes below today’s recipe!
Real Mom Kitchen original recipe.
Celebrating Food Bloggers Recipes (all pictured above)
- Homemade Cronut from Ashlee Marie
- Easy 15-Minute Maple Bars from Butter With A Side of Bread
- Baked Cinnamon Sugar Donuts from Creations by Kara
- Baked Powdered Sugar Donut Holes from Cupcake Diaries
- Lightened Up Strawberry Lemonade Donut Ice Cream Sandwiches from Happy Food Healthy Life
- Chocolate Glazed Donuts from Jamie Cooks It Up!
- Easy Jelly Filled Donuts from Like Mother, Like Daughter
- Easy Chocolate Glazed Donuts from Summer Scraps
- Baked Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Doughnuts from Tried and Tasty
More Chocolate Chip Recipes from Real Mom Kitchen
- 3 Ingredient Pumpkin Donuts
- Mini Chocolate Baked Donuts with Chocolate Glaze
- Apple Cider Doughnuts
- Raised Doughnuts
- Heart Shaped Glazed Doughnuts
- Apple Fritters
- Biscuit Fritters
- Pumpkin Breakfast Puffs (aka as pumpkin donut muffins)