I have a new easy creamy tomato soup recipe to add to my collection of tomato soup recipes. I happen to have a few. Partly, because I love tomato soup. Another reason, I want more options than just opening a can of of that condensed tomato soup in a can.
My family would be perfectly happy with just the condensed stuff in a can prepared with a can of milk. However, I want something more. When I made this soup originally, my husband was disappointed and said he was hoping for the stuff in the can. I told him just wait, this is gonna be better.
This soup was a hit. Even my husband loved it. It is homemade, but more like a semi-homemade tomato soup. This base of recipe is a bottle of marinara sauce. It gives you flavor without having to cook the soup very long.
It all begins with a roux made of butter and flour. Then you add in chicken broth and half and half. You cook the mixture until thickened.
Next is where the marinara sauce comes in alonf with some crushed tomatoes, basil and parmesan cheese. You can add a finishing touch off additional fresh basil on top for garnish. As with any tomato soup, it pairs well with a grilled cheese sandwich.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 (24 oz) jar marinara sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a stock pot, melt butter. Add in the flour and whisk to combine. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the mixture turns golden.
- Slowly add in the chicken broth, while whisking. Cook while stirring until thickened.
- Add in the half and half and whisk to combine. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the marinara sauce, tomato puree, basil, and parsesan. Cook until heated through and cheese has melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serves 6-8.