When you think of apples, one of the logical places to go is apple pie! Tender, flaky crust paired with soft, juicy, cinnamon apple filling. It is another classic. Well, I have a twist on that classic today.
These apple pie bars are all that you would expect from an apple pie, but includes a sweet sugar glaze. You can always lose the glaze and top with ice cream, if you prefer. Either way they are divine! Keep in mind my tip from yesterday – use a combination of apples in this recipe. My favorite is Granny Smith with Gala. I think they compliment each other well.
Also, the crust is a no roll crust. It comes out crumbly and you press it into the 9 x 13 pan. It makes this much easier to make than a regular pie crust.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 cups of 1/8 inch apple slices (no peel)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Cinnamon Glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2–3 Tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour sugar, salt and baking powder for the crust. Add the butter and cut it in with a pastry cutter until crumbly.
- Add the egg yolks to the crumbly mixture.
- Press half of the crust mixture into the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Set aside remaining half of the crust.
- In another bowl, combine all of the filling ingredients together. Spread filling mixture evenly over crust that has been pressed into the 9 x 13 pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining reserved crust over the filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until crust begins to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- In a small bowl whisk together the glaze mixture until smooth. Drizzle over cooled bars. Makes 12-16 bars.
Recipe adapted from Simple Savvy Recipes.