I know I already have a chicken tortilla soup recipe posted on here. However, I saw this crock pot chicken tortilla soup on Blogger Buffet. I mean, you make it in the crock pot. Anytime I can simplify things by making it in the crock pot, I’m there!
I also liked that this recipe added a creamy element to the soup with the addition of milk and cream of chicken soup. I also liked the idea of using a package of enchilada sauce mix, which I thought I had in my pantry. When it came to putting this in the crock pot, I didn’t have the enchilada sauce mix. Apparently I already used it. So the recipe said you could also use mild taco seasoning. Next time, I want to try it with the enchilada mix. Oh, there will definitely be a next time. I have to tell you, this is now my favorite chicken tortilla soup.
The family loved this crock pot chicken tortilla soup and it had just the right amount of spice for us. If you like things spicier, you can add some more heat. The chicken was also falling apart as it was being pulled from the crock pot, so tender. Thank you to the Dutson Five who posted this on Blogger Buffet. I love this recipe!
Also, my local paper was doing a story on food blogs and included me in part of the story.
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz size – southwest style, if possible I used petite diced tomatoes w/ sweet onion)
- 1 packet enchilada sauce mix (or if you can’t find this, mild taco seasoning works well too, this is what I used)
- 1 1/2 C water
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can ( 10 3/4 oz) cream of chicken soup
- 2 C milk
- 3–4 boneless chicken breasts (I only used 2 chicken breasts)
- In crock pot, mix the enchilada packet together with the water and tomato sauce. Add cream of chicken soup and milk and whisk together until smooth.
- Add chicken. Pour drained black beans, drained corn and diced tomatoes on top of that.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours.Before serving, take out chicken and shred or dice, then put back and stir it all together.
- Serve with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, lime, avocado, or tortilla chips. (We just did cheese and sour cream, we forgot about chips)