This post contains affiliate links.
These calzones are a create your own version. A calzone is basically a folded pizza. I was recently inspired to make these.
I work in the lunch room at a local middle school and we make calzones for lunch. They are one of my favorite things that we make. We use our bread dough that is 50% white flour and 50% wheat flour to make them. Then, we usually fill them with mozzarella cheese along with pepperoni or meatballs. The pepperoni and cheese is my fav. Last, you serve them with pizza sauce or marinara sauce on the side.
Now, when I decided to make my at home version, I decided to use pizza dough for the calzones. Also, I filled them with pepperoni and cheese just like the ones I love at work. However, my husband has stomach issues and isn’t able to eat pepperoni. So for his, I decided to use leftover filling I had from the Tex-Mex Sloppy Joes from the recipe I shared yesterday. I put it inside the calzone for my husband along with some cheddar cheese.
You can used canned or jarred pizza sauce on the side with these. You can even use marinara sauce. It also works well. However, I am going to share a yummy homemade sauce that you can see in the picture tomorrow. It’s nice and thick. I also have a blender pizza sauce recipe that you could also use.
Create Your Own Calzones
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 calzones 1x
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups of desired toppings
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp water
- Johnny’s garlic bread seasoning
- pizza sauce ofr dipping
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the flour, salt and yeast. Mix together with the paddle attachment.
- Add in the water and olive oil and mix for 4 minutes on medium speed. Switch to the dough hook. Mix inutil the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Add additional flour if needed.
- Knead with dough hook for 7 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough doubles in size.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Punch down to remove air bubbles and divide into 6 pieces. Shape each piece into a balls. Let dough rest 10 minutes.
- Roll each piece into an 8-inch circle. Place 1/3 cup cheese and 1/3 cup toppings on 1/2 of each circle. Fold other half of dough over each and seal seams. Place on a baking sheet.
- In a bowl whisk egg and flour together. Brush egg wash over the top of each calzone and sprinkle with Johnny’s Garlic Bread Seasoning. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes until golden and cooked. Serve with pizza sauce. Makes 6 calzones.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
You said ‘I am going to share a yummy homemade sauce that you can see in the picture. It’s nice and thick.’ I don’t see it in the recipe. there is a link for a blender pizza sauce but that isn’t the one you are referring to in your comments. Your comment states “However, I am going to share a yummy homemade sauce that you can see in the picture. It’s nice and thick. I also have a blender pizza sauce recipe that you could also use.”
Your Calzone recipe looks so delicious! I really can’t wait to try it. I will just use regular marinara sauce if you don’t provide your ‘nice and thick’ homemade sauce. Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe!
Janet, here is the link to the sauce. https://www.realmomkitchen.com/pizza-sauce-in-5-minutes/?swcfpc=1