This creamy strawberry banana salad is a recipe that my oldest son got from someone he knew while he was living in New Mexico for a few years. She fixed this salad for him and he loved it. So of course he got the recipe.
When he moved back home this was one of the first recipes he shared with me. It makes a lot and works great for a party. You can add more fruit if you want to have a higher pudding to fruit ratio. My family like this amount that I have in the recipe.
When I make this for just my family, I prepare the pudding base and then keep it in the fridge. Then during the week, I just mix up what I need for each meal. We can use it for at least 3 meals during the week.
You prepare the pudding mix with buttermilk instead of regular milk. The buttermilk adds a welcomed tanginess to the sweet pudding and fruit. This is called a salad but it could also work as a dessert.
- 1 (5.1 oz) pkg instant vanilla pudding
- 1 (3.4 oz) pkg instant vanilla pudding
- 4 cups or 1 qt buttermilk
- 12 oz frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 lbs strawberries, sliced
- 4 bananas, sliced
- In a large bowl, add the pudding mixes and buttermilk. Beat together for 2 minute until well blended. Let pudding sit for 5 minutes.
- Add in the whipped topping and fold in until combined. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Just before serving fold in the prepared fruit. Makes 15 servings.