We are ending soup week with a dip that has been converted to a soup. If you are a fan of spinach artichoke dip, then you will love this creamy spinach artichoke soup.
You can find almost all the same ingredients in this soup as you can find in the dip. You fill find butter, onion, garlic, spinach, artichokes, cream cheese, and parmesan cheese.
There is some added ingredients to make this more of a soup. There is chicken broth and cream in it. Also, there is some flour used as a thickener. Plus, salt and pepper are added.
I love artichokes, so I like to use 2 cans. However, one can is adequate. You can choose whether you want more or less artichokes in this creamy spinach artichoke soup.Print
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 diced onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic (or 3/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder)
- 1/2 of a (9 oz) pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 to 2 (14 oz) cans artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese plus additional for garnish
- In a stock pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add in onion and saute tender. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Stir in spinach. Sprinkle in salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, whisk flour into 1 cup of the chicken broth.
- Pour the 3 chicken broth into the stock pot followed by the 1 cup whisked with the flour. Add in the artichoke hearts. Heat for 10 minutes.
- Turn heat to LOW. Add heavy cream. and cream cheese. Let it melt slowly. Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese to serve. Serves 6.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Recipe adapted from Modern Honey.