Chicken noodle soup is one of those classic soups that every one loves. Well, today I have a variation on that beloved classic soup. This is a Sicilian chicken noodle soup.
This has the classic broth, chicken, carrots, celery, onion, and noodles that you expect in a chicken noodle soup. However, the noodles used in this are ditalini noodles. Ditalini means “little thimbles” in Italian and is shaped like small tubes.
There are 3 ingredients in this soup that are different from the classic soup. There is diced potatoes, canned tomatoes, and red bell pepper. For me, the red bell pepper is really what changes up the flavor of this soup.
This Sicilian soup cooks in the slow cooker. However, the you pasta is cook separately before adding it in at the end. This prevents the pasta from absorbing the broth and you can also cook it to the perfect al dente texture.
- BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS
- RED BELL PEPPERS
- WHITE POTATOES
- CANNED PETITE DICED TOMATOES
- CHICKEN BROTH
- FRESH PARSLEY OR DRIED PARSLEY
- BLACK PEPPER
- DITALINI PASTA
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 4 stalks celery, diced finely
- 2 medium carrots, diced finely
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 large white potatoes, skin removed and diced
- 1 (16 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley of 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 8 oz. ditalini pasta
- Add everything EXCEPT the pasta to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, until chicken is fully cooked and vegetables are tender.
- Remove chicken breasts and shred.
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions and drain.
- Add shredded chicken and cooked pasta to the slow cooker. Stir until combined. Serves 6-8.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Recipe adapted from My Incredible Recipes.