Today I am sharing my mom’s recipe for her creamy Jell-O salad. It is a favorite for my family and would be a great addition to your Memorial Day meal this Monday. This is called a salad, but techi=nically it could qualify as a dessert.
The creamy base for this Jell-O salad comes from a large box of Jell-O cook and serve lemon pudding. This is key. It has to be the cook and serve version. The instant kind will NOT work. No only does it make this salad creamy but it also adds a delicious lemon flavor.
The second part of this salad is sugar free Jell-O gelatin. You use the large 0.6 oz pkg. Now this is where things get fun. You can pick any flavor of gelatin that would pair well with lemon. Lemon, orange, lime, strawberry, and raspberry all work well. I love the lemon. It tastes like lemon pie with out the crust. My husband loves the lemon and orange.
Now, if you want, you can get to 3 oz sugar free Jell-O getlatin packages and split the recipe to make two flavors. That is usually what wen do. You can even make indiviual servings by putting the salad in clear cup or bowls. That is what I did for the photo because it photographs much better than a big dish of the salad.Print
- 1 (4.3 oz) pkg Cook and Serve Lemon Jell-O pudding mix
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 cups water
- 1 (0.6) oz pkg sugar free Jell-O gelatin mix (you pick the flavor – lemon, orange, lime, strawberry, or raspberry all work great) ** see note
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 (8 oz) container Cool Whip or equal amount of sweetened whipped cream
- In a medium sauce pan, add the pudding mix, sugar, 1/2 cup of the water and egg yolks. Whisk together until combined. Stir in remaining 2 1/2 cups of water. Bring to boil on medium heat, stirring constantly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar free gelatin and 2 cups of boiling water. Add in the prepared lemon pudding and whisk until combined.
- Pour mixture into a 9 x 13 dish and refrigerate for 4 hours. Top with Cool Whip or whipped cream for serving. Serves 8-12.
**If you want, you can make this with 2 (0.3) oz packages of sugar free Jell-O gelatin. This way you can have 2 flavors. Just add one cup of boiling water to each package and then divide pudding between to two gelatins and place each in an 8 x 8 in dish.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 4 hours:
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American