When I first started this blog, I was not a big fan of rice in soup but this recipe sounded too good not to try. I found this creamy chicken and rice soup over in 2008 at Rookie Cookie. This soup is deliciously creamy and tasty, perfect for chilly evenings or whenever a nourishing hug in a bowl is needed.
The whole rice thing is fantastic, but you could totally use noodles in place of the rice. Either way this creamy chicken and rice soup is yummy! I have since changed my mind now and love rice in soup. Don’t let the long list of ingredients scare you. It really comes together quite easily especially if you have leftover rice you can just throw in.
Ingredients to make Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup
- LONG GRAIN WHITE RICE
- OLIVE OIL
- GARLIC CLOVES
- KOSHER SALT AND BLACK PEPPER
- DRIED THYME
- RUBBED SAGE
- CHICKEN STOCK
- BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS
- HEAVY CREAM
- FRESH FLAT-LEAF PARSLEY OR DRIED
How to make the creamy chicken and rice soup
Start by cooking some rice and set it aside. Then in a large pot sauté some onion, carrot, celery, garlic, salt and pepper in some butter and olive oil. Next comes some thyme, sage, chicken broth and chicken. Once everything comes to a boil, you simmer it for 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
Once the chicken is done, remove it from the soup and shred it. Add it back into the soup along with the prepared rice. Next comes some heavy cream. Then in a small bowl, combine melted butter and flour. Whisk until combined. Stir the mixture into the soup. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes and mix in some chopped fresh parsley. This soul-warming bowl of soup is sure to become a cherished family favorite.
for more recipes like this, try:
- Instant Pot Chicken (or Turkey) and Rice Soup
- Hot Chicken and Rice Salad
- Chicken Bacon and Wild Rice Soup
- Chicken Broccoli and Rice Bake
Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- A few grinds black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp rubbed sage
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- 4 Tbsp flour
- A handful chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley I used dried
- Prepare rice according to package directions and set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil and butter. Once the oil runs quickly in the pan and the butter is melted, add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, salt and pepper. Saute until onion, carrot and celery are soft and lightly browned.
- Add thyme and sage and stir until combined. Turn heat to medium-high and pour in chicken stock. Add chicken breasts and simmer until chicken is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the soup and let sit until cool enough to handle. Shred the chicken into bite size pieces and add back into the soup.
- Stir in the prepared rice. Turn heat down to medium and pour in heavy cream. Stir until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter and flour. Whisk until combined. Stir butter flour mixture into the soup until well combined and the soup is thickened.
- Simmer for an additional 10 minutes, stirring often. Stir in chopped fresh parsley. Serve with bread for dipping. Yields 8 servings.
This is the original photo from this post when it was first posted in December 2009.