I can’t believe it’s time for holiday recipes. Every year I have pile of recipes that I have been dying to make, but it has to be narrowed down. I have way more recipes than I have days to share with you.
At Christmas time, it’s time for recipes with special touches. They are more special than the typical recipes that you make the rest of the year.
For this week, I decide to focus on breakfast recipes, more specifically, waffle recipes. These waffles aren’t you everyday waffles. They are more decadent and have those special touches you would expect for this time of year.
This recipe for cinnamon roll waffles begins with an easy basic buttermilk waffle that’s nice and tender. However, the special touches are the toppings. A cinnamon topping and cream cheese glaze get drizzled all over the top of each waffle. This takes the flavors of a cinnamon roll and incorporate them into a waffle.
My family went nuts over these waffles. They said they tasted just like a cinnamon roll. My middles son, who is a cinnamon roll connoisseur, gave his approval, which means a lot.
- Cinnamon Topping:
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- Cream Cheese Glaze:
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- For cream cheese glaze: In a microwave-safe bowl heat butter and cream cheese for 30 to 60 seconds; just until melted. Stir together until smooth.
- Whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- For the waffles: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add in the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Whisk together just until combined, batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Pour batter into preheated waffle iron and cook according to waffle maker instruction.
- For cinnamon topping: Combine the butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Scoop the filling into a small zip baggie or squeeze bottle.
- To serve drizzle cinnamon topping and cream cheese glaze over each waffle and serve. Serves 6.
Recipe adapted from Life in a Lofthouse.