I recently stumbled across a recipe that took me back to my childhood. I recall eating a simple chow mein bake as a child. It involved rice, hamburger, cream of mushroom soup and chow mein noodles. It was a dish I remember fondly and decided to make my own version.
I recently became a Canbassador for Cans Get You Cooking . So, I will be sharing a recipe each month from now until the end of the year using canned items. I love to keep a well stocked “Cantry”. I keep items in it such as canned soups, tomatoes, beans, fruit, and vegetables. It makes it easy to get dinner on the table. I must admit my “cantry” saved me when my hubby was out of a job. I highly suggest you keep one.
So today’s recipe for chow mein bake includes canned cream of mushroom soup and cream of chicken soup which are staples in my book for any “cantry”. It also includes a can of chow mein noodles. Be sure to check out Cans Get You Cooking’s Pinterest, Facebook, and You Tube pages for more info and ways to use canned items. You can also check out all my cantry recipes too.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 (5 oz) can chow mein noodles (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet, brown beef with onion and celery. Drain off any excess grease.
- Add all of remaining ingredients EXCEPT for chow mein noodles.
- Place mixture in a 2 qt or 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Cover and bake for 1 hour.
- Uncover and top with chow mein noodles and bake for 15 more minutes. Serves 6.